Weather on a Bahamas Cruise in February

stal

DIS Veteran
Has anyone sailed in February? How was the weather and the sea? Warm enough to be out on the deck and in the pools?

February weather in the Bahamas is almost always warm enough to enjoy the sun/pools.

Plenty warm during the day. The night might be chilly depending on where you are from.

We've sailed Presidents Week 3 times. Twice it was very nice/warm weather and once it was cold and windy (and we missed CC). While it was too cold for me to go in the pool I did make it in the hot tub once. They had blankets out by the pool area which I did use. ;) Another day, I tried hanging out on the pool deck in jeans and a sweatshirt but that was too cold for me. I had to go inside.

We sailed on the fantasy end of January. Very rough seas. Roughest I had ever experienced. Our server said the seas had been rough for weeks. Castaway air temps were very pleasant. Water temps were cold for us.

Feb 2022 the decks and pools were warm enough (especially compared to our Alaska cruise in May 2019) but the water at Castaway was cold. My eldest and I didn’t mind it but the little one got out pretty quickly. On the plus side no one wanted a giant overpriced frozen drink.

I am cold natured. I have been okay with Jan & Feb air temp (and I don’t appreciate hot and humid). The water temp is always a bit cool to me. Doesn’t mean I won’t go in sometimes.

If you are not a frequent cruiser and want a better cruise experience, weather-wise, I would look at early May or early December for price, crowds, and moderate weather.

If it’s your only available date, it’s a roll of the dice. Actually, water temp doesn’t deviate that much year round. Supposedly, ship pools are heated water (we used them on a late May cruise in Alaska one year).

There are a bunch of ships sailing that time of year - it can’t be too bad. Or everyone’s just crazy.

We sailed in early Feb. 2023 and it was plenty warm enough for any activities outdoors on the ship during the day and pleasant at night as well. The seas were calm, but I will say the water at Castaway Cay was a bit chilly in the mid 70's. I'd recommend a 3/2mm neoprene jacket for snorkeling to be more comfortable, but it wasn't unbearable.

I'd be curious to know where the people that are saying the temperature was great live

I'd be curious to know where the people that are saying the temperature was great live

I live in NH. Definitely warm enough for us during the day for pools, the night was a little chilly but my kids probably would have gone in if they weren't living in the kids club.

The water at Castaway Cay was chilly when we got in, but I got used to it. But honestly most of the time the Atlantic up here feels like that 😂

We are from Houston, so you can trust us when we say it was bathing suit weather during the day. Haha Weather is always unpredictable, but average temps in FL and the Bahama's are all you can go by. However, if a strong cold front pushes off the coast it could be below average. It's weather, you never know. I wasn't expecting 120 mph winds from a cold front storm to push through the Houston area last Thursday, but that is what we got. BMI has a lot to do with comfortable temps as well. Haha

Last edited:
We also sailed mid-February 2023 but for us it was just barely warm enough on the ship; too cold - in my opinion - for the AquaMouse shooting freezing water up your back, and the kids were wrapped in towels on the deck when not in the pool. It was super windy most of the time - we almost didn't dock at Castaway. It was on the cooler side at CC and the water was cold. The CC excursions were cancelled and it started raining around noon, so we were back on the ship after an early lunch. We sail again on Friday and are looking forward to it being HOT at Castaway and I'll gladly take the shooting water on AquaMouse in the 95 degree heat! :) We live in NC for reference.

It's all relative as what is "too cold" is determined by each individual. We sailed NCL in February and while there were plenty of people in the water at Great Stirrup Cay, it was "too cold" for me personally. I also get cold in Disney's heated pools in the middle of summer, so as with anyone else's opinion on what's too cold, you have to take it with a grain of salt. ;)
That said, the actual water temp, as we were told by the captain on the PA system was about 73 degrees. The air temps were also in the 70s that day, although it was quite breezy with an approaching cold front.
We sailed to Dominican Republic, St. Thomas, and Tortola. Our St. Thomas day was the only day we used the pool on the ship - but that's mostly because it was the only day the deck wasn't mobbed. Any of the port days in the Caribbean were quite pleasant and nice. Little cooler on sailing days with the breeze, but the pools were plenty full.

Just checked the sea temp at Trunk Bay, USVI, the last time we docked at St Thomas and did a shore excursion to St John.

The water was wonderful. Not cold, not hot.

Dec 1, 2023.

83.5 F. Eleven degrees lower than my body temp.

It had been 86 in September on a previous cruise. Still refreshing.

At home, I want the water to be >79 before my swim season begins.

Based on records found at sea temperature info, my preferred month of May deliver temps of 79+ at Castaway Cay.

This is really going to depend on YOU. For example, my family loves to sail in Jan/Feb. We are coming from freezing snow and ice in Ohio so when we get there the water is PERFECT and we have no problem. Now those that actively live in Florida and such may not feel its warm enough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter