Spinoff thread: American and Italian culture Q and A thread.

Buzz Rules

To Infinity and Beyond
Spinoff thread: American and Italian culture Q and A thread. As all the fellow Q and A culture threads I started seem to be popular and doing well, I figured it would be only natural to start another one to continue the successful trend. So this thread will be about the similarities and differences between our two countries cultures. Like all the other ones, feel free to ask any questions that are within the Disboards rules. Italy (or an non unified early version of it) supported the USA since the beginning of the American Revolution and several of the signers of the Declaration of Independence were of Italian decent (William Paca and Caesar Rodney). Three regiments in the war were of Italian origin as well.

http://www.americacallsitaly.org/emigrazioni/italian ontribution x.htm

http://www.sanfelesesocietynj.org/History Articles/Ital-AmerofAmerRevolution.htm

https://www.state.gov/u-s-relations-with-italy/

Both our countries have been throughout history friends, allies, an unfortunate brief time as enemies on the battlefield, to modern day partners in economic trade and dependable allies on international matters. Italians are awsome and I would like to think Italians think we Americans are too. Let's make this thread a good one everyone. 🇺🇸🤝🇮🇹:-)

Okay first fun question for the Italians, what did you think about the "Lizzie McGuire Movie"?

Grazie a tutti. :thanks:

Italian Disboarders, what are little known places in italy that you would recommend visiting to American Disboarders? So, where do local Italians go on vacation in Italy?

American Disboarders, what little known places in the USA would you recommend Italian Disboarders to visit?

I'm actually surprised Italian Disboarders haven't participated in the thread yet. I'm hopeful this question will provide some interest in the thread. :-)

I am curious what the differences are between italian culture (those that still live in Italy) versus the Italian-American culture (the ancestors who came to America around ww1 and post ww2).

Lesser known places in the US I think most people should visit:
  1. Savannah, GA
  2. Marquette, MI
  3. Louisville, KY
  4. Key West, FL
  5. Omaha, NE
I intentionally left off major cities and National Parks, but if someone was visiting the US for the first time ever, I have two recommendations:

1. Boston - NYC - Philadelphia - Washington DC
2. Glacier, Yellowstone, and Grand Teton National Parks

Either of these would be great 2 week trips.

Italian Disboarders (if you actually exist at this point), is there an actual difference culturally between Northern, Central, and Southern Italians or is that just an inaccurate stereotype?

Lesser known places in the US I think most people should visit:
  1. Savannah, GA
  2. Marquette, MI
  3. Louisville, KY
  4. Key West, FL
  5. Omaha, NE
I intentionally left off major cities and National Parks, but if someone was visiting the US for the first time ever, I have two recommendations:

1. Boston - NYC - Philadelphia - Washington DC
2. Glacier, Yellowstone, and Grand Teton National Parks

Either of these would be great 2 week trips.
I think you posted in the wrong thread

From my family’s point of view, there is a differentiation between mainland italians and Sicilians.
I have heard this. My friend's family is 3rd or so generation American but his family's heritage is mostly from Sicily. He said in the past that his great grandparents thought of themselves as Sicilians first, Italians second. I didn't get it at first but he then used the Quebec vs the rest of Canada example and I understood that aspect a lot better.

Oh, I missed that question completely!
No problem.
From my family’s point of view, there is a differentiation between mainland italians and Sicilians.
I have some Italian ancestry myself. I have an ancestor from Venice on my dad's side and I believe my mom would have some too since she has ashkenazi jewish heritage (Levantine Jews that married Greco Roman people during the first century AD and later went to Germany and Eastern Europe). I wish I could tell her exactly where her Italian ancestors lived in Italy, but it's nearly impossible since that population of people lived in Southern Italy and Rome during majority of that time period. 🇮🇹🤷‍♂️

Hey there! Italian, currently living in Italy (with US husband)! Love this thread ❤️

Lesser-known places in Italy that are totally worth visiting:

Bologna / Modena - Emilia Romagna region (art, food, Ferrari)
Comacchio / Ravenna Emilia Romagna region (coastal towns, Comacchio is also called Little Venice)
Perugia / Gubbio / Assisi - Umbria Region
Genova and the Ligurian Riviera (If you saw Luca - the Pixar movie, you know 😉)
The Garda Lake region and the town of Arco, if you are into hiking, climbing, fresh mountain air
San Marino - well, technically not even Italy! San Marino, it's another Country in Italy and totally worth exploring!

Those places are actual little gems, worth exploring if you're planning to visit more known destinations such as Venice, Florence, or Rome. It's where the Italians go on family, long weekend trips. Also, I only pointed out north and central Italy places, as I'm not very familiar with the south.

Italian Disboarders (if you actually exist at this point), is there an actual difference culturally between Northern, Central, and Southern Italians or is that just an inaccurate stereotype?

I exist! About cultural differences: Yes, there are plenty. But not only between Northern, Central, and Southern Italians. Literally every region was a separate kingdom and territory up until less than 200 years ago. People lived different lives, spoke different languages (more than just dialects, sometimes), ate different food, and had different traditions.
Literally from one village to the next, we locals already notice differences. Of course, when you look at the whole Country, the north/center/south differences are even more evident. Italians really love to hold on to those differences, for better or worse, as part of their identity, and it is a very interesting topic to explore.

As per stereotypes: I would never say that Southerners are lazier, or that Northerners are colder people, but of course, people still say that the weather & the food have a big influence on people's attitudes and cultures.

Hey there! Italian, currently living in Italy (with US husband)! Love this thread ❤️

Lesser-known places in Italy that are totally worth visiting:

Bologna / Modena - Emilia Romagna region (art, food, Ferrari)
Comacchio / Ravenna Emilia Romagna region (coastal towns, Comacchio is also called Little Venice)
Perugia / Gubbio / Assisi - Umbria Region
Genova and the Ligurian Riviera (If you saw Luca - the Pixar movie, you know 😉)
The Garda Lake region and the town of Arco, if you are into hiking, climbing, fresh mountain air
San Marino - well, technically not even Italy! San Marino, it's another Country in Italy and totally worth exploring!

Those places are actual little gems, worth exploring if you're planning to visit more known destinations such as Venice, Florence, or Rome. It's where the Italians go on family, long weekend trips. Also, I only pointed out north and central Italy places, as I'm not very familiar with the south.
I exist! About cultural differences: Yes, there are plenty. But not only between Northern, Central, and Southern Italians. Literally every region was a separate kingdom and territory up until less than 200 years ago. People lived different lives, spoke different languages (more than just dialects, sometimes), ate different food, and had different traditions.
Literally from one village to the next, we locals already notice differences. Of course, when you look at the whole Country, the north/center/south differences are even more evident. Italians really love to hold on to those differences, for better or worse, as part of their identity, and it is a very interesting topic to explore.

As per stereotypes: I would never say that Southerners are lazier, or that Northerners are colder people, but of course, people still say that the weather & the food have a big influence on people's attitudes and cultures.
Thank you so much for finding the thread. I hope you have a pleasant experience here as we learn more about each other's cultures. Do you have any questions for us Americans?

Anyway, how's the weather in Italy today?

In bocca al lupo agli Azzurri contro la Macedonia del Nord la prossima settimana.

Buona giornata e grazie ancora per il post. :-) 🇺🇸🤝🇮🇹

@valval , are you and your husband excited for the 2026 Winter Olympics being held in Italy?
To be honest, I didn't even know about it 😅 In my defence, we just moved back from Germany!
Thank you so much for finding the thread. I hope you have a pleasant experience here as we learn more about each other's cultures. Do you have any questions for us Americans?

Anyway, how's the weather in Italy today?

In bocca al lupo agli Azzurri contro la Macedonia del Nord la prossima settimana.

Buona giornata e grazie ancora per il post. :-) 🇺🇸🤝🇮🇹

The weather was nice, finally not terribly hot as in the previous weeks! In the Bologna area, we reached 104° and air conditioning is not as popular as in the US.

@Buzz Rules how come your Italian is so good?? 👏

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter