Questions for Northerners by Southerners or vice-versa in the USA?

Buzz Rules

To Infinity and Beyond
Questions for Northerners by Southerners or vice-versa in the USA? I thought this would be interesting as we are all Americans but we clearly have some diffrent cultural differences and sometimes preconceived notions about each other. So to help dispel some of those misconceptions or just wanting to have a question answered by someone from either part of the country, I figured this thread could help with that. Similar to my culture threads, I hope we can have a great and respectful discussion while staying within the Disboards guidelines. So what should be the first topic of discussion? Weather, snow vs humidity, food, snowbird vs sunbird etc...? Have fun with the thread. 😊 🌎 ❄️ ☀️

Chicagoan here. Born and raised in Illinois. Snow, cold, sleet etc is just a fact of life. With boots, warm coat, hats and gloves, good battery in your car, life goes on. I can’t imagine living without seasons. You learn how to drive in snow and ice from an early age. Once it’s been below 20 degrees for a few days, when it hits 30 it feels balmy. I play paddle tennis which is outside. It’s great weather when it’s cold because you are moving around and end up taking off layers.

Chicagoan here. Born and raised in Illinois. Snow, cold, sleet etc is just a fact of life. With boots, warm coat, hats and gloves, good battery in your car, life goes on. I can’t imagine living without seasons. You learn how to drive in snow and ice from an early age. Once it’s been below 20 degrees for a few days, when it hits 30 it feels balmy. I play paddle tennis which is outside. It’s great weather when it’s cold because you are moving around and end up taking off layers.
What northerner does not enjoy the 2 or 3 nor'easters we get a year with a boatload of snow? (With the exception of those extreme snow totals like Buffalo). I love winter just as much as the other 3 seasons but I do admit I do have my limit of enjoyment when global warming has made each new season unpredictable.

Northerners: are you bored during winter? I don't think I'd ever leave my house if it was snowing lol.
NY is supposed to have one of its hottest summer on record this year. @MamaMermaid , would you ever be a sunbird and visit the north during the heart of winter?

Northerners: are you bored during winter? I don't think I'd ever leave my house if it was snowing lol.
Nooo! No bad weather, just bad clothes. We are outside sledding, disc golfing, etc when it snows. Just put on layers and go.

Southerners: how do you not panic every day at the thought of snakes or scorpions or spiders creeping around?

Not at all. I loved sledding as a kid, and have fond memories as a mom of taking DS and his friends, too. I don't mind going out in the cold as long it's not too icy to drive. And even then, I like plenty of indoor things to do as well.

Dread, no -- dislike? Sure. But, if we are outside, we are usually in the pool so it works out!
Are Floridian pools usually covered? Or semi indoors? I've seen southern pools that look like they are in a green house with air conditioning. I don't know if that's a normal thing or not.

Nooo! No bad weather, just bad clothes. We are outside sledding, disc golfing, etc when it snows. Just put on layers and go.

Southerners: how do you not panic every day at the thought of snakes or scorpions or spiders creeping around?

Snakes and scorpions and spiders and alligators are not seen daily.

Spiders are seen more than others, but a house insect spray or a shoe takes care of that.

We do a general spray for bugs about every 3 months. If we see a bug, we know it's time to spray again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter