I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

I know this subject has come up before, but I never dreamed that I would be in this position. As a few of you know, four weeks ago my 54-year-old husband died suddenly and unexpectedly. Of all the many things to deal with since that horrible day, I have started to think about points/credit cards. He was an active player 2 and probably had 15 cards (including high annual fees ones that we haven't gotten all the benefits of).

Literally the day after he passed, he received an email from Southwest that he'd qualified for the companion pass. We were also $5,000 away from a 2 for 1 on BA with his Chase BA credit card :(

I have a few questions for anyone who might have dealt with the death of a spouse:

1. Any chance in transferring the companion pass? I know the rules say "no" but I wonder if anyone has been able to talk them into it.

2. Anything I should watch out for or be aware of?

3. I have moved the points that I can so far, and I plan to make bookings with any points I can't for myself or my kids.

4. Is there any chance of getting partial annual fee refunds on some of his high annual fee cards (especially those where I haven't used all the credits, i.e. Hilton Aspire, Amex Plat., etc).

5. Can you cancel Chase cards via chat? His Amex Gold card just came up for annual fee so I cancelled that one via chat.

6. I'm trying to keep as many accounts open for now until I come up with a plan.

Any help would be appreciated. In the realm of things this is very low priority, but I don't want to make any stupid mistakes.
I cannot fathom the loss and heartache you and the family are going through. While I don’t have the answer to the questions, please know that you have our deepest sympathies. Hugs to you and the kids from me and PlanePrincess.

Thank you all so much for the condolences. It has been a hideous few weeks, and now all the paperwork ahead of me looms. I really appreciate all your kind words.

Oh my, please except my condolences on your loss, that is shocking. I imagine these days are a haze and I hope you are maintaining self-care as much as possible.

This post by Nicolas Reyes on FM has info, and includes a link to a post OMAAT that has more info, and maybe you've already looked at those. I don't have any answers to your specific questions, but just want to say I'm really sorry for what you're going through. Please take care.
Very helpful, thanks! I hadn't seen that.

So very sorry. My dad passed away in March and he had just paid (in January) his Platinum renewal. I asked on here and what was recommended was to downgrade to green, get a partial refund, then cancel. So we cashed out his MRs (although they probably could have been transferred to my mom), downgraded the card (I logged into his account and chatted), then cancelled it. At least my mom was able to get $400 or so back. She then got her own Platinum card.

Again, I am so incredibly sorry.
Didn't realize I could do this--thank you so much! Saw the green refund, too--that's great.

I cannot imagine your heartbreak. I'm so very sorry for what you and your kids are going through.

1. Any chance in transferring the companion pass? I've not seen any dps of this, but it couldn't hurt to email them here.

2. Anything I should watch out for or be aware of? The general advice is to avoid notifying the banks and instead utilize points and begin the process of closing out accounts at your pace.

4. Is there any chance of getting partial annual fee refunds on some of his high annual fee cards (especially those where I haven't used all the credits, i.e. Hilton Aspire, Amex Plat., etc). If you list the high annual fee cards, we can advise a cancellation or downgrade path for each.
Hilton Aspire- downgrade to no fee or Surpass for pro-rated refund of AF. After that, can cancel the downgraded card.
Amex Plat- downgrade to Gold or Green for pro-rated refund of AF, but there aren't any no-AF options. But I believe if you then cancel the downgraded card w/i 30 days, you will get that AF refunded. Can anyone confirm?

5. Can you cancel Chase cards via chat? Absolutely. I have cancelled multiple cards with one secure message.
Thank you so so much. I definitely will email SWA, but I want to make sure I use all this points, etc. before doing so as I'm sure they'll shut off his account once I notify. That's the tricky thing with all this.

Great on #2 ... that was my instinct.

Off the top of my head he had ... Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express Schwab Platinum (I suspect this is not downgradeable), American Express gold (successfully closed this one within the 30 day period ... yay!), and Hilton Aspire.

Awesome on canceling by chat for Chase. That will be much easier. The trick will be the pacing of all this.

Thank you all again. Long road ahead ...

I know this subject has come up before, but I never dreamed that I would be in this position. As a few of you know, four weeks ago my 54-year-old husband died suddenly and unexpectedly. Of all the many things to deal with since that horrible day, I have started to think about points/credit cards. He was an active player 2 and probably had 15 cards (including high annual fees ones that we haven't gotten all the benefits of).

Literally the day after he passed, he received an email from Southwest that he'd qualified for the companion pass. We were also $5,000 away from a 2 for 1 on BA with his Chase BA credit card :(

I have a few questions for anyone who might have dealt with the death of a spouse:

1. Any chance in transferring the companion pass? I know the rules say "no" but I wonder if anyone has been able to talk them into it.

3. I have moved the points that I can so far, and I plan to make bookings with any points I can't for myself or my kids.

4. Is there any chance of getting partial annual fee refunds on some of his high annual fee cards (especially those where I haven't used all the credits, i.e. Hilton Aspire, Amex Plat., etc).

5. Can you cancel Chase cards via chat? His Amex Gold card just came up for annual fee so I cancelled that one via chat.

6. I'm trying to keep as many accounts open for now until I come up with a plan.

Any help would be appreciated. In the realm of things this is very low priority, but I don't want to make any stupid mistakes.
I am so sorry to hear this and can't imagine what you and the kids are going through right now. I always enjoyed reading about your travels. You might consider running a credit report on DH just to make sure you have an accurate accounting of all of DH's cards. I say this because my DH and I joke at times about cards that we have that we forget because they are in the cabinet (our version of the sock drawer). To ensure that I had a full list of I might do that to make sure I didn't miss any.

I am so sorry to hear this and can't imagine what you and the kids are going through right now. I always enjoyed reading about your travels. You might consider running a credit report on DH just to make sure you have an accurate accounting of all of DH's cards. I say this because my DH and I joke at times about cards that we have that we forget because they are in the cabinet (our version of the sock drawer). To ensure that I had a full list of I might do that to make sure I didn't miss any.
Thank you so much. I am so glad we didn't wait to travel. I can honestly say that as far as travel goes there are no regrets--that's nice to be able to say. And all those amazing memories to hold on to. Great idea on the credit check. Will do!

I am so very sorry for your loss. May you feel the love and support from this caring virtual space.

Off the top of my head he had ... Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express Schwab Platinum (I suspect this is not downgradeable), American Express gold (successfully closed this one within the 30 day period ... yay!), and Hilton Aspire.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Since you'd have to call to downgrade the CSR, maybe you'd want to wait until the travel credit resets, use it, then cancel. It can be something refunded since Chase doesn't clawback.

I am so very sorry for the sudden loss of your husband. You and your family will be in my prayers. Please take extra special care of yourself through this time of grief.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

FWIW, my mom kept a number of my dad's accounts open for a few years after he passed and 10 years later some utilities and other accounts still list him as primary.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Praying for you and your family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter