Dog DNA Tests

EllieJedi

Mouseketeer
I’m wondering if anyone has experience with dog DNA tests for a shelter dog specifically. The shelter had the dog listed as a chocolate lab / poodle mix. The chocolate lab is definitely a possibility but the coat to me seems to be too wiry for a poodle, so I’m wondering if he’s part pointer perhaps. I would like to know partly for curiosity sake, but also if there might be health issues to look out for as he gets older.

If you’ve had your dog’s DNA tested, did you think the results were accurate?

I've used Embark on three dogs and been very happy with the results.

Leota was listed as a leonberger mix by one rescue, a Pyrenees mix by another. She looks just like other GSD/pyr mixes I see online.
1000010011.png

With Rosie I just knew her mom was a mutt, dad was unknown. Seems to fit.
rosita56.png

Dexter was 17 when I tested him. We were told Norwegian elkhound/ border collie when we got him as a puppy, found out there's a bit more in there. Samoyed made a lot of sense given his fur.
dexter3328.png

So many people told us that our Boston Terrier was too big to be a pure Boston (around 27 lbs) that my kids nagged me to get the DNA test to make sure. So we did, turns out he’s 100% Boston, just a big boy!

I’d recommend the Royal Canin one. If certain breeds come up, then they do additional testing for specific mutations that are known problems, like the MDR1 mutation or the degenerative myelopathy mutation, for examples. Actual useful information beyond just the curiosity factor.

I did Embark on two dogs. Seems very accurate to me and I’ve dot some real mixtures in my dogs. The Embark option I chose also gave the health assessment.

We did the Ancestry DNA dog test to see if our boston was purebred as she barks a lot compared to all the other bostons we have had and has a slightly longer snout than typical. Well she came back 92% boston terrier and 8% american bully, which was one of the original dogs they used to create boston terriers so she is a barking purebred boston. She is the most petite of our 3 and an american bully is no small dog so we laughed about that. (Shes not the one in my avatar picture)

I got a kit for Christmas a couple of years ago and uses it to test our Cookie (the white dog with black spots in the picture).

The pit didn't surprise me since he was a shelter puppy, most in this area are some type of pit mix. The chow didn't either, you can see it in his head shape. The rott, husky, and German shepherd were total surprises. They do explain his personality, though. He is insanely smart and is very protective of his people. NOT a fan of people or other dogs he doesn't know.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240517_231347_Edge.jpg
    Screenshot_20240517_231347_Edge.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230510_191502.jpg
    20230510_191502.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 8
I did Embark with our rescue about 10 years ago. He was a XL sized Corgi and my husband always joked that he was actually a German Shepard. He came back as 99% Pembroke Corgi and .8% Pekinese. 😂

Embark has a lot of different options on what you want to include - dog health is one of them. They run sales frequently and have a very nice interface. They will also tell you if your dog has any siblings or close relatives DNA on file. It's a lot of fun and I would definitely recommend it.

We’ve used Wisdom for two dogs and the results were very accurate. Both dogs were shelter rescues. We were told one was a Maltese Poodle mix and he came back with some Bichon added to the mix. Our second dog was a 6 month old Bichon puppy from a different shelter. He was shaved to the skin and didn’t look very Bichon-like but he was 100% Bichon.

We used Wisdom Panel and the results were interesting. When we adopted our dog, Bella, we thought she was a Border Collie, but as she grew up her size was larger and some physical characteristics indicated otherwise.

The DNA Results:
60% English Springer Spaniel
5% Golden Retriever
2% English Cocker Spaniel
2% Labrada Retriever
8% American Pit Bull Terrier
4% Boxer
3% American Staffordshire Terrior
8% Chow Chow
2% Australian Cattle Dog
1% English Shepherd Dog
2% Chihuahua
2% American Eskimo Dog
1% Beagle

It's really funny because she does show guard dog traits, always has, but never expected to see this.

Thank you all for the replies. I think I will definitely go ahead with one of the tests with the health options. I’ll post his results once I get them as I want to see if my guess is anywhere close to accurate or not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter