DDP Worth It? Can anyone use the credits?

disneydad7281231

Mouseketeer
I have never experienced DDP and being new DVC members, I am trying to see if it is really worth it. I will be traveling with my wife, mother in law, 4 year old, and 1 year old. So I will have to get 3 adults and 1 kid. DDP will be $2592 for the table service but then tips on top of it.
We do like table service and characters so we would do one everyday regardless. Seems like if you get alcohol at every TS and QS you can it is definitely worth it BUT i don't know if that would be the case for use.
I have priced out roughly what I think we would spend without the dining plan and its about the same... assuming we aren't drinking everyday.
My other thought is I know everything isn't covered by the dining plan so there would be out of pocket cost too.

I am looking to experiences... was the DDP worth it for you? Let me hear your opinions!

Additional question! From what I read its basically your room getting a pool of credits. My MiL might not always be with us in parks and might not join for all the Table meals. If she missed 2 table meals could my wife and I use those two for ourselves?

THANKS!

am looking to experiences... was the DDP worth it for you? Let me hear your opinions!
Hadn’t purchased for years. Added it onto trip a week ago for familly for just one night as part of a multi-part split trip.

Did Steakhouse 71, so much cake on that table. Polite pig for lunch, food booth @ Epcot and drink cup for another week of the trip at other DVC resorts.

I’d do it again that way. Cannot imagining a full trip of 7 - 10 days tho, mostly as we do enjoy eating at many offsite locations. It’s a lot of food and commitment to scheduling

According to this recent post, the credits do pool on the reservation. Of course, I’d call & check before I added them if that is a concern

https://plandisney.disney.go.com/qu...-group-one-reservation-app-break-down-570814/

Hadn’t purchased for years. Added it onto trip a week ago for familly for just one night as part of a multi-part split trip.

Did Steakhouse 71, so much cake on that table. Polite pig for lunch, food booth @ Epcot and drink cup for another week of the trip at other DVC resorts.

I’d do it again that way. Cannot imagining a full trip of 7 - 10 days tho, mostly as we do enjoy eating at many offsite locations. It’s a lot of food and commitment to scheduling

According to this recent post, the credits do pool on the reservation. Of course, I’d call & check before I added them if that is a concern

https://plandisney.disney.go.com/qu...-group-one-reservation-app-break-down-570814/
Sounds like a good idea. We almost always shoot for table service breakfast because we like big meal early. So planning for the week of TS meals wouldn't be issue.

Priced it for 8 nights. 4 breakfast 4 lunch/dinner. Price without vs DDP seems to be +/- $100
Yes if you use every single credit available to you. If you're forcing yourself to order in a way you otherwise wouldn't, you can't value those menu dollars at full weight.

Yes if you use every single credit available to you. If you're forcing yourself to order in a way you otherwise wouldn't, you can't value those menu dollars at full weight.
I have said to my wife, only thing I don't want is feel like I have to get certain things because I want to take advantage of the dining plan.

On our next trip we have a split stay booked. The first two nights we are getting the DDP because it makes sense based on our dining plans. Our table service will be Garden Grill and Ohana, refillable mugs, 2 QS and snacks work out in our favor. Especially since the mugs are good for 14 days

This is the best video I found on using the DDP; snack has been reduced to 1 a day; Starbucks coffee is a snack! You can no longer swap a dessert for an appetizer

Last edited:
I never had the original dining plan so this would be new for us but I am thinking that it is not worth it.

I feel like snacks are too limited. It you could go anywhere and get a order of fries or something but I really like the only guarantee is finding a mickey pretzel. Cheeseburger eggrolls should be a snack... I really don't think we would utilize all the snacks.

I find us using TS for Breakfast with characters and this little ones and we don't do the very expensive places.

I also see us using more QS during the day and sharing then what we would get with the plan.

I think if you are doing table service for dinners and having alcohol with every TS and QS you can then it is well worth it.

Our party of 4 adults hasn't been able to "save" anything using the DDP in the last 10 years. (Before that, when the kids were younger and the dining plan was more modestly priced, we did.) However, our party includes 1 vegetarian, our kids are Disney adults but still under 21, DH and I don't care to drink alcohol at every meal, we don't need or use the refillable mugs, we can't use all the snack credits that come with the DDP, and we like the flexibility to order an appetizer instead of an entree sometimes, or the freedom to order a cheeseburger instead of a steak without feeling like we've left money on the table.

So for us, even eating MORE TS meals than the DDP would allow (e.g., we average 7 TS and 3 CS over a 5 day trip, when the DDP would only give us 5 of each, plus a lounge visit or two for drinks and apps), including restaurants that would "cost" 2 TS credits, and ordering whatever we want regardless of price, we STILL spend over 30% LESS on our total food and beverage costs by paying out of pocket, than we would have to pay for the same things if we purchased the DDP.

However, that's us. It sounds like you did the math for your party already and it came out about even. In light of that, I don't suppose it matters which way you decide to go. (*Either way, I would suggest that if you are a member of a wholesale club that sells Disney gift cards at a discount, that's one way to save a little bit on dining, since the gift cards can be used either to pay for dining out of pocket, or to purchase the dining plan. If you have a Discover card and are able to make those purchases during a quarter when the Discover 5% cash back bonus applies to wholesale clubs, you can save even more.)

Last edited:
Our party of 4 adults hasn't been able to "save" anything using the DDP in the last 10 years. (Before that, when the kids were younger and the dining plan was more modestly priced, we did.) However, our party includes 1 vegetarian, our kids are Disney adults but still under 21, DH and I don't care to drink alcohol at every meal, we don't need or use the refillable mugs, we can't use all the snack credits that come with the DDP, and we like the flexibility to order an appetizer instead of an entree sometimes, or the freedom to order a cheeseburger instead of a steak without feeling like we've left money on the table.

So for us, even eating MORE TS meals than the DDP would allow (e.g., we average 7 TS and 3 CS over a 5 day trip, when the DDP would only give us 5 of each, plus a lounge visit or two for drinks and apps), including restaurants that would "cost" 2 TS credits, and ordering whatever we want regardless of price, we STILL spend over 30% LESS on our total food and beverage costs by paying out of pocket, than we would have to pay for the same things if we purchased the DDP.

However, that's us. It sounds like you did the math for your party already and it came out about even. In light of that, I don't suppose it matters which way you decide to go. (*Either way, I would suggest that if you are a member of a wholesale club that sells Disney gift cards at a discount, that's one way to save a little bit on dining, since the gift cards can be used either to pay for dining out of pocket, or to purchase the dining plan. If you have a Discover card and are able to make those purchases during a quarter when the Discover 5% cash back bonus applies to wholesale clubs, you can save even more.)
THANK YOU! This is the feedback I like!

For us I am feeling like I wont work and I don't want to be tied to a dining plan feeling like I have to get a steak if I want a burger to maximize the value or getting alcohol any chance I can. We are more plan the TS meals and then supper of the moment eat throughout the day lol.

I am all over the Disney GCs. We have Sam's Club and they currently have $100 for $90 and $200 for $190. I have already bought 4 $100 and trying to get family that has accounts to order for me lol. I have Discover and Chase that have 5% quarterly and I am hoping one of the next 2 quarters have wholesale clubs because our trip is in Jan 2025.

Thank you again for the input!

We have done rough estimate spreadsheet for almost every trip we have taken (over 30) and the dining plan has never been a value. Paying out of pocket has always been more cost effective.

Also consider, if you have picky eaters, a kid who eats 1/3 or 1/2 of a meal and then finished, a day where your appetite might not be so great, a day where you may want more snacks than actual meals, etc - all of that would affect your usage of credits as well as personal spending on food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter